Mudakathan Keerai is hardly found these days in Chennai. When ever I find a fresh bunch in the market, I buy them to make these perfect colourful tasty and healthy dosa.
Mudakathan Keerai is a clipper plant. The plant can not stay erect it need support from other plant to grow up. Its health benefits are many, so we can use in our daily diet in the form of dosas and sambar. Even now mudakathan keerai is used widely by ayurveda and siddha. In many herbal stores, you find mudakathan keerai powder which is good for curing joint problems.
INSTANT MUDAKATHAN KEERAI DOSA/BALOON VINE DOSA
Recipe Category: Breakfast
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 5 minutes Serves: 4
|Dosa Batter||2 cups|
|Mudakathan Keerai/Balloon Vine Leaves||1 cup|
Method of Preparation:
1.Wash and clean the mudakathan keerai. Pluck the leaves and grind it to a fine paste along with red chilli and required water. Pour the mudakathan keerai paste into the batter and mix well until the batter and keerai is combined.2. Cover and let the batter rest for 15-30 minutes. Heat tawa/skillet, When it is sizzling hot, pour a laddle full of batter in the centre and spread it quickly in circular motion towards the end of skillet. Drizzle oil around the dosa and the centre. In medium/high flame, let it cook for a minute or until the dosa sides starts to brown and leave the sides of skillet.
3.Turn to other side, and allow it to cook. Transfer to a plate and delish the healthy dosa with spicy chutneys of your choice.
- The batter must be consumed in a day or two if refrigerator.
- My amma makes it more like an utthapam with chopped onions, coriander leaves and podi sprinkled on top.
- The batter should be dosa batter consistency so adjust accordingly with water. Adding too much keerai paste will not give a crispier dosa. So maintain the ration of Dosa:Keerai :: 2:1
- If you don't prefer spice, skip adding red chilly.
- Just a post update: Recently saw an tv program in which they say mudakathan keerai must be eaten along with murunga keerai to get its benefits. So while grinding mudakathan leaves, add little murunga keerai.
In Picture: Instant Mudakathan Keerai served with Red Chilli Chutney.